Wednesday, August 15, 2012

NCAA '13 & Division I Football

A couple of things to rant about today. First, I returned my copy of NCAA '13 to Gamestop today. Although I found it fun to play with UMass, Texas St, and UTSA the game was so laggy that I found it unplayable. I used to be able to zip through recruiting (and do it efficiently) in fairly little time. In NCAA '13 it took me an hour--Not a fan. If that wasn't enough, I started a dynasty and simulated the first season and then began to play the second season; I got four games into the season when the game started freezing. I was freaking out because I thought it might have something to do with my Xbox. However, I plugged in some other games and none of them seemed to have that issue. I've lost all confidence in EA Sports to put out a good game; I won't buy a game in that series for a long, long time.

 After having this issue with NCAA '13, It started getting me thinking about how messy Division I football really is. Division I is not a true Division I. I dream about the entirety of Division 1 football coming together and becoming Division I. Of course I know that will never happen. BCS schools will not let smaller schools share the loot. Can you imagine what kind of profits would come from a Division I 32 team playoff, featuring teams from ALL over Division I? If it was set up like March Madness teams that participated, even in the first round, would receive some sort of bonus check. And why shouldn't they? Programs should be rewarded on success. There would be blow-outs. There would be upsets. During rivalry week when the BCS conferences clash; the Mid-Majors could duke out some sort of BracketBusters weekend where they fight for a middle seed. That is just the tip of the iceberg, there could be NIT-like post-season tournaments as well featuring teams not quite good enough to make the NCAA. Even further, there could be the CBI and other low level tournaments for teams to enjoy post-season play.

Of course, I am just dreaming. In an alternative universe, maybe this exists.

2 comments:

  1. Im not buying ANY 13' additions (NCAA, Madden, NHL...) First of all its an unlucky number, but also the 12 additions are much cheaper and the new additions rarely include any new features of interest. After NCAA 12 added custom conferences that was it, no need for newer additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yah NCAA '13 was a joke. I went to GameStop the other day and bought NCAA '11 and Madden '11 for 13 bucks total.

    ReplyDelete